Sunday, May 2, 2010

Race for the Cure!


Anyone who knows me knows that I H-A-T-E running! But in September I came to a point in my life that I needed to make some goals to work towards, one of them being to run a 5K! So December quickly came and Brian and I were going to do the Santa Run, but he got hurt and I didn't feel ready. Then another run come up in February in Henderson for the Library but I chickened out and we didn't sign up. Finally I signed up to do the Race for the Cure and although I had been training since September I finally felt ready! So this week as I was running my side stiches came back! I get them when I am stressed or nervous because I don't breathe deeply enough. Every run this week ended badly. So of course I was nervous for "the RUN" on Saturday. Once we showed up I started to feel excited. I felt prepared, I had taken some advil and said a prayer to get through this. Thinking if I just do this, I won't ever have to do one again! I will have completed my goal. My sweet husband who had been running the 5k in less than 30 minutes, stuck with me the whole time. Although we don't know what our time was because we missed the start, we fininshed the whole thing together without walking. He encouraged me the whole way, told me when the drink stations were coming, and when we got to the mile markers. Although I still had my side stitch, the advil had worked it's magic and the pain was dull enough to push through. Right when we finished I said, let's do this again!!!! I loved this particular run for a few reasons: (1)it's a great cause, and close to my heart with my grandma having been through it, (2)it was neat to be amongst 18,000 people doing the same thing
(3)all the volunteers treated the participants like celebrities, and (4)it was neat to see downtown Las Vegas all closed down and quiet. We'll be there next year, and we're bringing more of you with us!

9 comments:

Melanie said...

How awesome!! way to accomplish a goal! One day I will do a 5K too...but right now, I have a hard time running 400 m!! lol

Bryan and Moriya Olsen said...

Way to go, Natalie! It can be addicting, eh? I will do one with you, next time if you need a partner!

Cari J said...

Good job Natalie!! What an awesome cause and it's great you could accomplish your goal too!!

Marianne said...

Good job! I did that race when I was down there. It was a blast with all the people and the music.

The Zoo Keeper said...

YOUR A ROCK STAR!!! proud of you!!

C.A.L.L.L.L. said...

You are awesome! I don't doubt for a second that you accomplished this because whatever you set your mind to, you can do. Brian is awesome too for supporting you like that.

Christel Stearman said...

You did it! Hip Hip Horray!! That is awesome! One day I will be as cool as my big sister but pretty sure not any time soon!

CB said...

Way to go Natalie!! I also ran my 1st 5k this year (the library one) and I know the feeling of "if I just finish this one I will never do another" but once you're done you feel so addicted to finishing anther one! Take me with you next year! My short legs will probably not be able to keep up with your long ones but I'll run with ya!! :)

McKinna said...

Congrats Natalie! That is awesome! I hate running as well... :( I should do it tho!